Monday, August 19, 2013

Allergy Free Bread







This is a big one.

When it comes to allergy free bread, there are little to no choices to eat.  If the only obstacle for making and eating bread for my sweet daughter was just to be gluten free......(I dream).....life would be easier!
She has so many "main ingredient" food allergies it has been basically impossible to make something that was edible.  For years she only ate that one brand (don't want to name names) and suffered through.  It was basically cardboard shaped like a loaf of bread.  But without being able to eat eggs, dairy, soy, nuts etc. we were out of luck choice wise.
I started trying to make bread years and years ago that would fit her needs.  However, all the recipes I tried or tried to create were WORSE than that "cardboard loaf" we were buying!  I had never been a bread maker (the yeast variety) so it was a roller coaster of learning for me.  I couldn't even tell you how many loaves ended up in the garbage.  

This recipe has gone through a variety of changes.  Not just through changing ingredients and amounts, but also with water and oven temperatures and bake times.  Putting this recipe together has basically been a compilation of many recipes ending into one.  I wish I could claim this as my very own recipe, but I would be lying if I did.  It is a result of taking notes from every recipe I tried off of the Internet and out of recipe books, throwing out what I didn't like and keeping what I did.

Right now this is the bread we are sticking with.  It is easy to make, even with the yeast in it.  If you are a allergy free baker, you probably have all the ingredients on hand.  It really is delicious and makes a beautiful sandwich and toast.  A bread you can actually pack in a lunch and not have to heat in the microwave in order to eat!  I will be honest in telling you it last about a week before drying out. (It is homemade after all)  I have also doubled the batch several times and froze one of the loaves for future use, but it does come out pretty dry once defrosted.  I only do this when we are travelling and still would choose to eat this over the "cardboard loaf".  At home when it starts to dry out, I make bread crumbs out of in and throw them in the freezer for future recipes.  It works perfectly.  

I hope you enjoy this bread recipe as much as we do!  It is a staple in my recipe box.  I make at least one loaf a week since my daughter loves her sandwiches and I end up eating it as well.  And I would openly like to thank all those bakers before me who's recipes led me down the path of bread baking and helped me "create" a allergy bread that is worth eating!


gf/vegan



Allergy Free Bread:
Glass Pyrex loaf pan 8.5 X 4.5 X 2.5 inches

1 Cup plus 2 TB  Rice Milk
1/2 Cup  Water
1 TB  Olive Oil
3/4 Cup  Brown Rice Flour
3/4 Cup  White Rice Flour
1 Cup  Potato Starch
1/2 Cup  Tapioca Starch
2 tsp.  Xantham Gum
4 TB  Organic Sugar
1/2 TB  Sea Salt
1/2 TB  Active Rise Yeast

Grease one bread loaf pan, set aside.  Turn oven on and preheat to 200 degrees.
Warm rice milk and water to 120 degrees.  ( I use a microwave safe glass bowl and instant thermometer to do this quickly)  Add olive oil to warmed rice milk and water mixture, set aside.  In mixing bowl with paddle attachment, add brown rice flour, white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xantham gum, sugar, salt and yeast.  Mix on low so dry ingredients are well incorporated with each other.  Add in the warmed rice milk mixture and blend on medium/low for about 2 minutes. Scraping down with spatula when needed.  Spread into greased loaf pan and place in warmed oven.  Turn off oven once you place the bread dough into it.  Rise in warmed oven for 25 minutes.  Once risen, remove loaf and reheat oven to 380 degrees.  Your bread will raise a bit more while oven reheats. (I always place my loaf pan right over the burner that "releases" the heat from the oven to help with the rest of the dough rising while the oven is reheating)  Once the oven is at 380 degrees place loaf in oven with a "foil tent" over the top.  Bake for 10 minutes with the foil, then remove and bake for a additional 33 minutes.  Cool completely on a cooling rack before trying to remove from the loaf pan.  Store in a airtight container.  Enjoy!

*note- I have tried this recipe in a bread machine and had no luck.




Sliced and waiting for butter........






Save image and print!










Also shared at:Slightly Indulgent Tuesday,Tasteful Tuesday Party,Fat Tuesday,GF Tuesday,Tips and Tricks Tuesday,Allergy Free Wednesday,Gluten Free Wednesdays,Waste Not Want Not Wednesday,Healthy 2Day Wednesday,Gluten Free Fridays,Simple Meals Friday









11 comments:

  1. Looks great! So happy for an end to suffering through with cardboard bread! Thanks so much for sharing at Tips and Tricks Tuesday!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try this! Do you have a print button somewhere that I'm overlooking? I'd love to print out the recipe as it looks like one I'd try over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just updated the recipe with a recipe card. You can save the image and print it out now. I hope you enjoy the bread as much as we do!

      Jolene

      Delete
  3. I can't believe how light this looks for an egg-free bread! Thanks for sharing this on Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, Jolene, I've pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really great I can't wait to try it. My wheat allergic husband hates the taste of eggs in bread. I have had such a hard time making a decent white loaf without eggs. We just go without most of the time. I want to ask do you use store bought rice milk or do you make your own? Do you use the superfine rice flour or will Bob Red Mill grind work?
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana,
      I use store bought (Rice Dream- plain) rice milk. For the rice flour(s): I use either Bob's Red Mill or Fairhaven for the brown rice and Bob's Red Mill for the white rice. A lot of times I also mix a sweet white rice in with the Bob's Red Mill (from the Asian store) when I can get there to get it! I've never had a problem switching it around with the different brands. I hope you and your husband enjoy the bread!

      Thank you, Jolene

      Delete
  5. Hi Jolene,
    Just found your bread recipe and I am anxious to try it.
    Can you tell me what size bread pan you use- I have larger pans (glass and metal) and smaller metal ones.
    A lot of people making gluten free bread use the smaller loaf tins. Just wondering. Thank you for making your recipes printer cute and friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use a glass Pyrex. It measures 8.5X4.5X2.5 inches and holds 1.5 qt. . I will pass the compliment about the recipes being cute and printable to my oldest daughter since she is my computer wiz-helper!
    I hope the bread turns out great for you!
    Thank you- Jolene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I use metal pan? Do I change time and temp?

    Thx,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only used glass for my bread, but my understanding of glass vs metal pans for baking is that metal may take a little longer than glass since glass holds in heat better. If the bread starts getting to dark on top because of a longer cooking time needed, I would just put a foil tent back over it towards the end to prevent over browning. Let me know if you try it out and any adjustments you had to do! Hope it turns out great-

      Delete